Tell us your idea!

Add both Subtitle and Multiple Language Support

I would like to request the addition of subtitles to each movie and TV episode existing in X-Box Video. I'm hard of hearing as it is, and having subtitles is a big help.

Additionally, my first language is German, even though I live in the US, I still like watching TV shows with the German subtitles, and often the German dubbed audio, but the US often only has French/Spanish audio options for DVDs and Blu-Rays.

My request is that users can set their audio options for the languages they want, and be able to view TV shows' or movies' subtitles in any language they set up, and hear them in any language they set up. If I set up English and German, then I can purchase "Night at the Museum" and I would be able to switch, at-will, between English and German audio, and English and German subtitles.

978 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JamesJames shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    NeoSwiftNeoSwift shared a merged idea: More avaiable languages with purchase  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: region setting and languages  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Changing the language of the movie!!  ·   · 
    Sebastian SchwarzSebastian Schwarz shared a merged idea: Support .srt subtitles and multiple languages  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Watch movies in their original language  ·   · 

30 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I live in Italy but from USA. I hate that I do not have the option to get the films that come from the US in English. This is not a complicated task the film is already in English then gets dubbed to Italian. So why can we not be able to get the original. Same issue with Cortona app from windows. She can not speak my language she writes which is in English. So another useless app for us expats.

I live on France ans i would love to be able to change the language of the movies, specially in their original language. Most of the time I don't buy movies or rent because of that.

I live in Italy, but since I speak four languages, I watch films in their original language. I was able to buy and rent here in Italy films as if I was in the US up until last month and everything stopped working. Now I have everything in Italian and the films I was enjoying, I can no longer get. Is there any information on when this will be fixed?

• GeojinGeojin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also work on WP and XB1!
        The first step can by to select the language at all. So you have audio and subtitle in the same language.
        But the suggestion is one year old...

• CarlosCarlos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must. Xbox video is pretty much unusable as it is. Most of people want to watch movies in their original audio with subtitles. This is simple to do and easier to release the movies.

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jared, I agree - not a great workaround, but it's there. We should be able to choose one or two extra subtitle/audio tracks with every single video - the original language, plus one or two extra.

• wuheywuhey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i also would love all the tvshow in englich - by example wilfred when you click on this tvshow from germany it is written 3 season but at the end only 2 are available + the language is german. So fo rthe moment i am watching on web in englisch and the season 3. if it was available for me from germany i will buy it directly because it is more comfortable to have it on my surface or xbox one. thx

+1 here. The only reason why i don´t use the xbox video is because all movies are dubbed. Writing from spain, by way. :)

• Jared HardingJared Harding commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of my biggest complaints with Xbox Video today. Companies like Funimation have worked around this for anime by providing the same show twice. Once with English dubbing and again in Japanese with English subtitles. This is a poor workaround for a limitation in Xbox Video. I can get multiple languages and subtitle tracks on a DVD. Why not on Xbox Video?

• SteffenSteffen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must-have before I even consider using XBox Video. Even better would be a free choice of language.

• Kenneth MitchellKenneth Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My family speaks Spanish so if I want to rent a movie for the whole family I have to go to colorbox so I have Spanish subtitles.

• FreoniusFreonius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Won't buy anything until this is fixed, mainly because dubbed movies/tv-shows are a crime. Also: please, please, pretty please, stop auto-translating MSDN tech pages... I know, it's not really relevant to Xbox Video, but it's relevant to language, so, if one of you Xbox guys see someone from MSDN in the hall, could you please tell them; in latin.

• PeterPeter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to view movies in any available language.
        Why limit the user?
        Maybe someone wants to learn another language

• mikel diezmikel diez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't buy any movie on xbox video because of this. I won't pay the same price as the physical version and not obtain the same value.

• VincentVincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely something to add, I choose different language usually at home depending on who is watching it with me.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base