Tell us your idea!

Allow access to a NAS drive

Got an XB1 preordered. If it is supposed to be the 'ONE' device in the living room surely we should be able to access videos, music and photos from a NAS drive. I guess it will work the same way as Windows 8 where I can't add the NAS drive to my video library or music library. Only 'Windows' NAS drives are supported I believe. (I have a Synology NAS)

1,801 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    CharlieCharlie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Be able to play video and music from iDevice to Xbox One + be able to play from DNLA server (NAS drive)  ·   · 

32 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BrianBrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have an update on this, please?! I see that it's under review but where are we at with this? Thanks!

• TomasTomas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For Synology users there is a solution, but you have to use mobile/table or pc to stream video from Synology to XBOX one. Open DS Video app and select where to stream your video. Works for me, i agree this should be native on XBOX one.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought an Xbox One and was horrified to fing=d out that this thing that is supposed to be my home media device is pretty much useless.....Let me browse and play videos from my Network Share exposed by my WD TV Live SMP!!!! Damn you Microsoft....when you sat there and developed your usage scenarios did you just assume everyone would use Xbox Video supplied content or something......not on!!!!!

• Tim EckelTim Eckel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still waiting for this functionality before I purchase an Xbox One. I'm currently using a Sony BR player to stream NAS content. If an $80 BR player supports NAS playback of almost all video formats, one would think it would be a fairly easy thing to add to a $500 console. Will buy an Xbox One the day this functionality is added.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The simple reason my Xbox One is not in my living room (to replace the 360) is because the Xbox One cannot play movies, music and photos from my NAS. My Xbox 360 can, so remains 'one' of the media devices I need under my telly.

• eqshadimareqshadimar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please let us mount SMB shares! You have made a standard so pervasive that even my blu ray player will let me mount a network share and stream pictures and music from it but your device that you call a media center won't do this?

• TepescovirTepescovir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously microsoft? how can you still be dragging you heals over this. You advertise the one as a media hub?
        media means it can play media. or did you lie through your teeth to get sales knowing you were never planing to make good on your promises?

I can only say that I agree with the comments.
        Trying to make it work on 360 but believe to have the same issue.

• David IrvineDavid Irvine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too have a Synology DS413J, +1 for me to add NAS/DLNA support to the XBox One - I use the 'Play To' feature at the moment with Synology's DS Video app to push the media from my NAS to the XBox One, but it really sucks when pausing/rewinding as the Xbox sometimes loses the stream as it didn't initiate it. Microsoft - talk to Synology and see if they will provide the DS Video app to the Xbox One and provide DLNA Client support - PLEASE!

You cn also use an Android/iOS app called Skifta to push media to the XBox One, but again it is such a pain in the b**t.

I see lots of synology people, but qnap has the same issue. Man, I have a 5+ year old stb that can browse network shares and play video. The One should at least be able to do that and be a WMC extender.

• AbjeAbje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...just bought my xbox one, wich i was very exited about. Not so much any more after i found put all these flaws: No video streaming from a Nas (i dont have Windows computers), no HBO Go, no splits screen in titanfall, tv function not working in europe, not that many games yet, etc.

I understand thing sneed work and time, but this is just a bit dissapointing

• DerSiaDerSia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really a pain in the ass. But you also need to support Network-shares and be able to Play video's and music's right on the XBOX One not just DLNA!!!

• KrisKris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a glaring omission, it has to be deliberate. An cynical.

• RichRich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the xbox one cannot stream from my synology DS413j drive then I shall just continue using a PS3 which works fine. Come on MS I want to move on from my 360 but won't invest until streaming from NAS drives is possible. Very disappointed.

• Usman AkhtarUsman Akhtar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding this feature would make my Xbox One the perfect device for my home. There needs to be an app (paid or otherwise) that allows us to play any type of media file for this to have any relevance. MS can do it if they want to, but they know there will be lost revenue.

P.S. CRUNCHYROLL APP .. WHERE IS IT?

Agreed, I think the functionality from the 360 should have been the springboard to the XB1. This feels like a ground up re-write feature-wise.

Bring back the ability to stream content (music, video and pics) from an actual DNLA NAS.

I used my 360 for that all the time and still do (that's the only thing the 360 does now...)

• Lou FourquetLou Fourquet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also run a synology NAS with Plex PMS and would like to access my content.

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't have real DLNA on the Xbox One (not Play To), especially when they are 1 of the 9 board members that runs the show.

This, along with no media centre capability, is my main complaint about the XBOne. I have a DLNA compliant NAS with my media (Music, Films and Photos) stored on it and a media player that can display and play directly from there with a decent interface would be my number one request from MS. The XBOne should have been better at media than my XB360 but I am contemplating going back because play to is, in my opinion, less than useless.

• William HethWilliam Heth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue is one that plagues both the Xbox One and Windows 8. I have a few terabytes of video on my FreeNAS both that I can not add to either video library. I think that we should have that functionality as we did under Windows 7 to be able to included a network location to our media library.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base