Tell us your idea!

Media Center Extender Support

Please add Windows Media Center Extender functionality! (as we had with the 360)

13,974 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jared PickerellJared Pickerell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    mattmatt shared a merged idea: Just make a little bitty App for Xbox one to access Media Center  ·   · 
    Mark EisenbergMark Eisenberg shared a merged idea: Add WiFi control of Windows Media Center a la Ceton myMediaCenter  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back media center!!  ·   · 
    jrjr shared a merged idea: Make XBox One as its own media center  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Being able to use XBMC as media center  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Media Center Extender  ·   · 
    LikeThePotentialLikeThePotential shared a merged idea: Make HD Home Run Prime a "Cable Box" Option  ·   · 

572 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • joeyjoey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's sad that MS has not even acknowledged this, specially since thousands of Media Center users are begging for it.
        As an alternative I setup Amazon's fire tv with XBMC. Works fine as an extender for watching and recording tv. So for those of you out there looking for alternatives to 360s and Ceton's, you can get get almost all the same functionality for <$85.
        Crazy thing is a lot of people, including me, are willing to pay 4x that to get the same functionality with the One. Microsoft: I truly think you're leaving money on the table by ignoring this. We are your hard core fans. We are the guys who consume your eco-system. We are the guys that socially promote your products for free. Listen to us. Please.

• Matt DMatt D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having this is huge for me. I use my 360 95% of the time as an extender. My HTPC is in the living room and we have multiple 360's around the house and use them as extender's. (watch recorded TV, set recordings, watch live TV etc.) I do NOT have cable TV so the Xbox One's features there serve no purpose for me. My HTPC has 4 tuners in it for OTA television.

Because of this, I'm looking at the PS4. I WANT the xbox one but since it cannot be used as a true media system like I want, and cannot replace my 360, it allows the PS4 to become a bigger choice for me. So conflicted.. and sad.. Microsoft COMON bring this feature back!!!

• richardrichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it amazing that I had to find a used 360 unit to add to my system rather than buy a new xbox one unit. MICROSOFT = Please move us into the new technology - imagine the possibilities. Or in the corporate world - imagine the profit for some marginal expense.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been introduce to Microsoft Media Center via my friend Xbox 360! Loved it! I had got 3 friends to conver to Xbox because of it, Now a Xbox One user, was very upset to see the lack of functionality. Please Work your MOJO..... Make it Happen.

Thx

Media Center Extender support is a feature that should be added to Windows 10--possibly MS could consider this as an app for purchase--adding something of significant value to the relative dearth of compelling apps currently in the MS apps store.

• Vinyl BVinyl B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hooked up Xbox one only to find no MCE. Please add MCE. I have 5 360's connected to 5 tv's and cannot do without this feature.

• MikeCMikeC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please just add this functionality. Can it really be that hard? Microsoft is still supporting existing devices that are both extenders and clients. Even Windows 8 supports it! We all know you are ignoring this even though it is the most requested feature.

• Brad BillmanBrad Billman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will be purchasing an Xbox One as soon as this is up. I would love to see a rethought interface/ modern rebirth of WMC functionality. It doesn't have to be called WMC but be able to have a guide + dvr that can work with the tuner and/or server.

Please do it. Don't be silly Microsoft, please give us Media Center extender support. We'll pay you back by purchasing the way more expensive Xbox One's instead of the outdated 360's. It makes sense, just please do it.

I love windows media center and am looking for an alternative after discovering that xbox one doesn't support extender functionality. I currently own 5 xbox 360 and use them as extenders. I also game on these. Thinking about moving to linux. If xbox one had a media center app, I would buy 3 concoles today. Right now buyin these is a deal breaker without extender functionality.

What's the holdup? Make MC accessible on the One. After-all, it was billed as THE center for media.

• Lesley ManleyLesley Manley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been under review for the last 12 months. Are we or are we not going to to get WMC support. I mean like every one else this is the ONLY reason I have not bought an XBOX one.

To add to all the other comments, I have three xbox 360s. all have had some gaming done on them, but I have three as they are my STBs for media center, my netflix devices, my hulu and amazon devices. its childs play to put the extender desktop on the xbox one. wouldn't you like to sell me three? just seems crazy.

I feel like I should sstart hoarding 360s.......

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a HUGE Deal! I recently purchased windows media center for windows 8.1. I assumed that because Xbox 360 could be used as an extender that surely, the Xbox one could also. WRONG! I had made plans to keep the Xbox one in the living room and take the 360 to the bedroom and use it purely as an extender. I then figured I would try and find a cheap extender other than the Xbox 360 that is compatible with media center 8.1 and use that as the second extender. Nope! The only extender that works with windows media center 8.1 is the Xbox 360!!!! Really???

Now it looks like if I want to watch recorded TV in both rooms I am going to have to look into Linux otherwise I’m going to have to buy another 360 or purchase a second copy of windows 8.1 and setup a Media Center PC connected directly to one of my TVs… Basic Mini PC is $320 + Windows 8.1 Pro $199.99 (because it has to be pro to install Media Center) + $9.99 Media Center Software!!!

• XBOX EXTENDER USERXBOX EXTENDER USER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please add xbox extender support for xbox one. I would also love to see direct intergration with hd home run prime. The users have spoken dont come up with excusses just get it done.

• D SlisherD Slisher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought an Xbox one but found out it does not have WMC support. I am planning on returning it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29

Feedback and Knowledge Base