Tell us your idea!

Media Center Extender Support

Please add Windows Media Center Extender functionality! (as we had with the 360)

11,546 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jared PickerellJared Pickerell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    mattmatt shared a merged idea: Just make a little bitty App for Xbox one to access Media Center  ·   · 
    Mark EisenbergMark Eisenberg shared a merged idea: Add WiFi control of Windows Media Center a la Ceton myMediaCenter  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back media center!!  ·   · 
    jrjr shared a merged idea: Make XBox One as its own media center  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Being able to use XBMC as media center  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Media Center Extender  ·   · 

433 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Will DeweseWill Dewese commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not a gamer but I do use WMC on a Win7 laptop for my TV. I have (2) HDhomeRun boxes from Silicon Dust and an OTA Antenna. I have been waiting for the XBOX one to do WMC for over a year. I love how XBOX one allows voice commands, has a great processor and memory capability.
        I really need to retire the old laptop and wanted to replace it with a XBOX one. As it stands now, I'll have to purchase other hardware and run win7 or win8. Too Bad I can't use the XBOX.

• Steve JobbsSteve Jobbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have also added another Xbox 360 to my home as a backup due to this. If this had been promoted properly this would have been a must have function for any cable subscriber. With the Xfinity and ESPN apps it is awesome. Wise up MS before it's too late. I am using a lot of "other OS" devices these days. Your days may be numbered.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is Microsoft not acknowledging this??? Look at the votes! Respond to your customer base or something! 11,000+ want this option. Why is it not happening?

Just purchased another used Xbox 360 in the second-hand market solely for the WMC extender into my HTPC network setup. ZERO Xbox One's will every be purchased until MS wakes up and listens to its user base! Why won't MS support this in light of the high demand?

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will never buy and Xbox one because until it supports media center its not the ultimate living room appliance. I have 6 xbox 360's in my house that are more interesting for that use.

• JimJim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only should the xbox one support media center extender, but Microsoft should port the application to iPad's iphones, android , windows phone, sony, Samsung, sharp etc TVs bluray players etc. make it so a windows PC's content can be viewed on any device in my home on wifi.

• Peter SillsPeter Sills commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently own three Xbox 360s, all run the Media Center Extender from a Windows 8.1 server slinging live TV and other content around my network. I have shown this system to my friends and have had three of them ditch their cable boxes and move to Media Center PCs.

I have not, and will not upgrade any of these to the Xbox One until their is Media Center Extender support. This was one of the best programs Microsoft ever did and to not have it on the new console is SILLY!

Please add it and put me down for two Xbox Ones when you do (need to keep one 360 for older games). This is a major oversight. There could also be some significant changes to this that would make this the MUST HAVE application for the PC. What is going on here???

• RaymRaym commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's do this. 2 HDHomeruns, 6 tuners. Using 360's, Linksys, & HP Extenders. Would like to ditch Linksys & HP. WMC is just (RDP) Remote Desktop Protocol session. Shouldn't be that hard to add to an already underlying Windows 8 hybrid OS. Windows 8 has WMC soooo, realisticly just unrestrict it, and/or add function.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been waiting to buy an Xbox One because this feature is missing.

I have 3 360s that are used as the *only* TV source in my house.

• ChadChad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to move from SageTV to some other PVR solution and was going to head the MCE route using my xbox 360 and xbox one. I was dismayed to find out that the xbox one doesn't support MCE. Please bring back MCE support.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a huge gap for the Xbox One. The WMC userbase is stranded on 360 extenders and have no where to go but over to non-Microsoft alternatives for DVR software. Many of the 360 WMC users have multiple consoles in the house and invested heavily in WMC supported infrastructure around the house despite constant RROD and high power consumption. The One would mature this technology and reinvigorate it.

This shouldn't be a dead product, it should be leveraged as part of a unified media platform. The software exists already on the 360, very little investment is necessary and the user community wants it! How is this not here already?

• GregOGregO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As others have stated, the lack of Extender support in the Xbox One is what has kept me from upgrading from my 360s.

I will not upgrade to an Xbox one unless it provides media center extender support. I have invested heavily in Media center and yes it has its quirks but I believe it to be the best solution available. The use of a central server and xbox 360 extenders has been brilliant for me as I can easily distribute Sky TV, Shared Recorded TV, Movie Library, Music, Pics etc to all my rooms and all that is required is an ethernet cable to my router to provide wired network. I absolutely love my setup and would love to move to the Xbox One for gaming and media. I am shocked that this functionality wasn't just provided to be honest as if nothing else it ensures that all the functionality provided by the 360 is available on the new console. How can the xbox ONE be the ONE if this is missed???????

Please address this asap and I will take four xbox ones off your hands immediately.

Regards
        Jon Mason

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base