Tell us your idea!

Media Center Extender Support

Please add Windows Media Center Extender functionality! (as we had with the 360)

10,717 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jared PickerellJared Pickerell shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    mattmatt shared a merged idea: Just make a little bitty App for Xbox one to access Media Center  ·   · 
    Mark EisenbergMark Eisenberg shared a merged idea: Add WiFi control of Windows Media Center a la Ceton myMediaCenter  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Bring back media center!!  ·   · 
    jrjr shared a merged idea: Make XBox One as its own media center  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Being able to use XBMC as media center  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Media Center Extender  ·   · 

392 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CJCJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought an Xbox one today. I cant believe this isn't already a feature. I will be returning it tomorrow as i have used media center on my old 360 for years and have a library there that i have built on for quite some time. My 360 died and i thought time to upgrade, only to find out this is not the case. what a shame. No, "play to" is not an acceptable replacement. This device is meant to be used in the living room, not running back and forth to my office just to access my library. Also no HBO go, i know its coming, but between loosing HBO go AND my media center tittles i feel like i am going backwards. I guess i should have checked to see if this was still an option in xbox one, but they seemed like they where both such obviously important features that I didn't even consider the possibility that they would not be available. What a disappointment.

• Rob DymondRob Dymond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I finally bought an Xbox One last weekend based solely on the announcement that they would have a big update next month which would allow streaming from a PC, and a DVB-T (UK and Australia) TV Tuner Accessory. I wanted to be able to compare the evolution of the product, So I wanted to make sure and get it before they actually start to move it toward the product I want it to be.

Here in Australia the One-Guide does not work, but I did hook up a Digital set-top box which works fine for live TV. FYI for those in the US, DVB-T has programming info encoded into the over-the-air signal, so you still have a Guide of sorts, via whatever your tuner has. This was a godsend when Windows 7 came out, because the TV corporations here do not share their programming info. Having moved from the US, that was a big problem for years.

I am particularly pleased with kinect-controlled skype and music app integration. The two biggest things I miss from the Media Center PC would be the Picture Screen Saver and Recorded TV access. The Xbox will not be my main interface until that happens. For years, having my entire picture library randomly appear on the TV was a great way to experience our memories... I want that to continue. Recorded TV is still a big deal as far as I know, and I Nnnnneeeeed that. The Xbox Video App will definitely Push me toward digital rentals, but they need a "collection" similar to the Win8 app... which still needs work if it is to function as well as the media Center video collection browser. Similarly the Win8 Pictures app does not work as well as the Media Center Browser, because you cannot pick any folder and start a slideshow of anything in that folder including subfolders. If you have for example a vacation folder with subfolders for each day, you can't pick to main folder and play them all. Whaaaat? This capability needs to be added to any picture collection browser on the Xbox.

Access to my Home Video and Picture collection is also a big deal. One-Drive access is fine for limited picture collections, but having the whole shebang available, particularly for the screen saver, means less fiddling and special organizing of photos. That is a MAJOR issue I've always had with iTunes.

Interface: The XBox layout is not nearly as good as the straight-up Media Center interface. For some reason the XBox One is also fairly unresponsive to my Harmony Remote. That is a big problem. Voice control is nice, as well as gestures and smartglass, but nothing is easier than just picking up the remote and jamming a few buttons. Also with the TV tuner being a separate system, I have the issue of some keys such as arrows being set to control one or the other, and using touch-screen custom buttons for the other, which is annoying. If they don't come up with a full-on Media Center Extender app as on the 360, at the very least they should have an optional "Media Layout" which re-focuses on the Media-Centric Apps, and particularly TV and Music.

PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE AT MS ACTUALLY USES THIS AT HOME AND KNOWS THESE THINGS

R<>

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just bought an Xbox One this weekend and this is hardly the "One box to replace them all" I haven't had a cable box in 5 years because I now use a cable card through PC and use Xbox 360 as an extender. Looks like I have to keep my 360 for live TV now or pay $9.00 a month roughly to rent a cable box. Also, (and I know this supposed to come soon) there is currently no Blu Ray 3D support so I still have my PS3 hooked up. I also use the Xfinity App on 360 for On Demand services since I don't use a cable box anymore. Not only did my Xbox One fail to become my central media hub, it also failed to replace my need for last gen systems. What shame.

There is only 1 thing holding me back from buying XBOX One, thats the missing media center support. You can have "one box to rule them all" without media center software !

Please add a Media Center Extender to XBOX ONE. If need be, make it a separate app.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wont be buying an Xbox One unless Media Center Extender support is added.
        Thanks!

• ShawnShawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I own FIVE Xbox 360s and 1 Xbox One. I use my 360's as cable boxes around the house to access my Windows Media server. There is a small but DEDICATED bunch that still use Windows Media Center despite Microsoft's reluctance to educate the public on what the app actually did.

I rarely use my Xbox One. I rarely turn it on. Give me a reason to turn it on. Give me a native WMC extender app within Xbox One. please.

I wish MS would have enabled Media Center and expanded within Windows 8 as well. I unfortunately think MS is slowly ditching Media Center as it does not bring as much income to them. I wish they would integrate it as a Modern "Metro" app and specially make it work with Media Center as extender. They did port Media Center from Windows 7 but which provided a great setup and seemed to improve performance and reliability with .NET 4. I use MS Windows 8 Media Center and multiple XBOXs and one old Linksys box. This really needs to be ported to the ONE. I really like many things on the ONE. I am unsure I will be very excited in the future if they cannot port this. It seems relatively easy, they have supposedly had their "softsled" project that had Media Center on Windows working within software in the past, port that to Windows 8 and the ONE. Allow for or don't allow for the VOICE integration at launch, can always come later.

Please allow us to use the ONE with Media Center, I understand that MS wants to use XBOX Video for everything, but that is not Media Center. Media Center does not need a lot of love, just work as is. Put one developer on that project at least. This will appease all of us.

• Andrew JonesAndrew Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same boat here, I actually purchased a second hand 360 only yesterday to replace a dying Linksys extender. I now have three of them and will not get an Xbox One until it has what should have been basic functionality. To be honest, from a company that wants the XBOX One to be the owner of HDMI 1 and that already has all the software needed to provide TV directly into XBOX One why they decided to go back to the passthrough technology is beyond me. Me thinks they thought they could generate more revenue through XBOX Video without it so they left it out. Only problem is now they cant sell XBOX One to its potential so its a lose lose.

Thinking we'll just have to wait until Google jumps into the game console/ home media solution fray. It doesn't appear they are yielding to the cable companies/ Washington lobbyists, (considering Google fiber, etc.)...

I really wish that MS would give in and let this happen. I would really like to update my old 360's that i am currently using.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best feature of xbox 360 - I had three of them at one stage just for extender use! C'mon Microsoft, get Appy!

Please, please, please add media center support. I have 2 Xbox 360s, and would never upgrade to an Xbox one if I am going to lose my media center support. Please listen to your customers.

MIcrosoft why arent you listening to you customer feedback ? you guys need to bring this console out of the dark and enhance those great features the 360 has !!!! why oh why would you deliberatly bill the Xbox One as a the Home Media Hub when it cannot perform as such !!! i`ll be keeping my 360 in my living room and the Xbox One in the spare room. I need a device that performs as a media hub aswell as a console........

• CJ LucasCJ Lucas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Media Center is easily the most used app on my 360. I have got a Xbox One as a gift, now I'm thinking about returning it, if there's no better support in home media streaming....

The windows media center app is easily the one I use most often on the Xbox 360. Without that feature, I really have little interest in the Xbox one. Simply adding the extender feature and making a more expensive power hungry extender would necessarily sway me either. It would definitely have to offer some improvements.

• Mike JenkinsMike Jenkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll buy 3 Xbox Ones when they add the ability to be an MCE, so I can replace my 3 Xbox 360 MCEs. No reason until then.

• JustinJustin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a Day One pre-order of an Xbox One, until I cancelled it a week before launch when I found out there was no real Media Center Extender support. I thought the whole idea of the One was to make games and tv great. Instead it works the same as my MCE 2005 setup, when I had a pass through to my cable box with an ir blaster. No way I'm going back to those days.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base