Tell us your idea!

Add a cable+DVR accessory with Ceton InfiniTV

The concept here is for Xbox to make an accessory device that includes a Ceton InfiniTV 6-tuner and a large hard drive. This accessory would turn Xbox into a cable box + DVR, eliminating the need for a secondary cable box completely and, done well, would provide a much better user experience than using a cable box with HDMI passthrough.

2,068 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EdGEdG shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an XBOX ONE used the cable box with it for two months I didn't like it, made no sense and I didn't like the extra equipment. I also didn't like the glitches between the two boxes. Hey Comcast are you listening?? I WILL CANCEL TV BEFORE I GIVE UP MY XBOX.. How many Xboxes does Microsoft have to sell before they realize that people are losing interest in TV.....

Comcast would never allow it don't blame Microsoft, They lose money, the cable card was designed for TiVo, and Ceton designed a better use for it. I love my 3 Xboxes, been using them for 2 years for TV..

I'm not opposed to this idea, but you would still need to allow other devices (including Xbox One) to be able to view the content from other devices. (I.e. watch content from a second Xbox One besides the one doing the recording)

• ArtArt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to add my vote for this idea. I support anything that can improve my TV experience, and a Xbox One + Ceton Tuner + HDD DVR would definitely do that! As it stands, however, the current Xbox One's TV capabilities are just lame...

• Another Concerned CitizenAnother Concerned Citizen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea as the "fool proof" version for the masses, but Microsoft should also allow users the ability to use either the ethernet or USB version of Ceton's tuner (or any other TV tuner out there that might be physically compatible) directly with Xbox One. Or, at least include the MCE extender functionality like they did with Xbox 360. Concerned Citizen, I have read this argument before about the industry hating CableCard and I (sorta) get it, but at this point is seems that regardless of what the FCC does about it, they really should embrace it. I have 2 CableCards here in Chicago (on Comcast) and I pay $10 / month for EACH of them. That's $240 a year when I could have their boxes (minus DVR functionality) for FREE. Now, I have no idea what it would cost me to switch to Comcast DVR, but like many Win7MCE enthusiasts you couldn't pay me to do so. The FCC and the geeks have spoken: CableCard is here to stay! Here's a thought, Comcast: why not partner up with companies like Microsoft, Ceton, and Tivo to offer more VOD through CableCard? That way I might pay for your VOD content once in a while. Actually they have done this, at least with Tivo, because they recently added an Xfinity app to my Tivo Premiere, although I haven't tried it yet and I'm sure it goes through the internet connection rather than cable.

• LukeLuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it funny that 2 months later nearly every other topic is "under review" but MS completely ignores the best option for their business. Must be legal issues,conflicting interests, or just plain "Big Cable" keeping us down. Now I sound like a conspiracy nut, LOL.

• renerene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the Xbox One needs to have media center extender capabilities or at a minimum be able to interact with deeper integration. I am using the 360 to feed live TV through the Xbox One and it is ok but it needs a lot more work. Microsoft - we need media center extender to be native.

• Ethan MarshallEthan Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As other's have stated...Xbox One won't enter my house w/o WMC extender support. Please close a few of those useless Microsoft retail stores and re-purpose the resources to building a better DVR/WMC extender in the Xbox One.

• StanStan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here, here! Xbox One isn't the best way to watch TV (by far) without proper DVR capability. It is years behind Microsoft's own Media Center technology and it won't replace HTPC with MCE and Ceton InfinityTV that I am currently using so I'd never buy it. Unless there is a little, inexpensive, and low power DVR box attached to it. Then I'd definitely buy it. And while we are there make sure Netflix doesn't require Xbox Live Gold membership.

• benben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have not purchased an Xbox one for this reason. No MCE extender or MCE capability. The built in HDD is not big enough for a DVR, but it has USB, so adding a USB HDD and a USB cable card tuner would make the Xbox one the true ultimate ONE entertainment device.

• DanDan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will only buy an xbox one if the Windows Media Extender functionality is added back, or if there is some other way to get my Ceton Infinity TV working with it.

Yes please. Since there is no support for Media Center extending within Xbox One, it is sort of useless with regard to viewing broadcast TV (HDMI passthrough + IR blasting? Please.).

This is what I am waiting for, and will not buy an Xbox One until then. For now, am happy with my 3x Xbox 360s and a PC in my den with the Quad Ceton PCI tuner.

• Cap HowdeyCap Howdey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

M$ Removed it! these company's have a bad habit of moderating posts keeping only the approved opinions on their site, I have run into this with other large company's afraid of the truth when it is even a fraction negative about a product or service they provide! freedom of speech only applies when they are described as a GOD in a positive LIGHT!! Don't dare speak of us or our products in Vain or your review/suggestion will go strait to HELL!

Concerned Citizen - You do realize even if MS stopped supporting WMC, there are still ways of importing channel guide data into WMC. For example, look up "Big Screen EPG".

Besides WMC, Cable Co's have to also deal with the Tivo Crowd also

• Darren PerksDarren Perks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best idea ever - means I'd have a reason to move to an xbox one and nit stick with me 4 xbox 360s

• WingdamWingdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 3 360's and won't consider a new XBox until it has full MCE and extender compatibility.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base